Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Close to my heart...

Gender roles are constantly being taught to us, even more so then in the past, due to the mass amounts of media that we are fed everyday. As a woman I have always been particularly interested in how these affect us and what we can do to challenge ideals that create a negative self image. So as my second quote I choose one by, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, "Well-behaved women seldom make history."

As inspiration for my photograph I took vintage objects that women would have been expected to wear in order for them to be considered a "proper woman". These items consisted of a tulle skirt, leather gloves and a pearl necklace. In contrast to the traditionally considered feminine objects I added more masculine items, such as; a thermal shirt, work boots and pants. By putting these objects together it created the nostalgic feeling of being a young girl playing dress up, while also allowing me to question what the affects of "feminine" may be and what restrictions that may put on the women of today.

I chose this particular place to photograph due to its daring landscape. When I first saw the shoreline I felt as if it was daring me to cross the precarious path onto the cutout of receding land. Since the quote calls for women to question what they stand for, I thought it would be a perfect parallel.

Rockaway Beach, Shore Access 


I hope you enjoyed the second quote, look for more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment